Bainbridge Georgia
Choose Site Search
Local
Info
Local
News
Local Business


Decatur County Museum - Is Looking for a New Home
Decatur County Museum
The Decatur County Museum was established in December of 1995. Through the efforts of Jim Lillethun, there is a place for and a collection of, the history of Decatur County.

The museum was located across from the county courthouse and beside the Firehouse Gallery at 115 Water Street in downtown Bainbridge before the Firehouse Gallery took over the additional space.

Below are a few items from the museum.

Confederate Flag of the Hardee Rifles
Confederate flag


This is the confederate flag of the Hardee Rifles, who actually was Company H of the 5th Georgia Regiment.

Flag is from April 15, 1861.



Old County Documents and a
Campaign Poster for Marvin Griffin for Governor in 1962


Cyprus Dugout Canoe

Length 12ft 11" Width 24" Depth 14" Woood is taxodium distichum (bald cypress or swamp cypress)

Found June 20, 1990 by Winston Kelly and Larry Poitevint in the east bank of the Flint River about 5 miles north of Bainbridge.

Probably made by using a combination of fire and carving with a sharp metal tool such as an axe or adze. There is some apparent evidence of burning inside the hull and extensive evidence of cuts made by sharp tools in shaping the inside and outside of the hull.

The method of shaping suggests the canoe was not made by native American Indians with their technology in ancient days. It was probably made after European settlers and their helpers came into the territory with their tools. The canoe, therefore, probably was made not earlier than in the late 1700's or early 1800's in the style of an Indian dugout.

The canoe is one of only four or five dugouts ever found in Georgia, although more than 100 have been found in FLorida. Archaeologist from State agencies in both Georgia and Florida assert that this is probably the best preserved dugout canoe relic found to date.

It is small for the type craft, probably used to ordinarily carry only one person and some cargo. "Ledges" carved into the interior are probably platforms or seat supports. The notches in the gunwales, one near the bow and one near the stern, were probably to hold a pole or steering sweep.

Old Doctor's Instruments and his Bag


More History


Tour the Jail used from 1914 to early 1990


1800's Garments, Square Grand Weber Piano from the early 1880's


Old Turpentine Tree, Relics from the Turpentine Era

See these and more items and hear many old stories from Decatur County.

facebook  Share this page on Facebook